The Spring soccer season has begun. This is the first year the twins can participate...more on that in a bit.
Chay's team from last year had a number of kids that were pretty good. Most of the games were lopsided in favor of his team. Before the season started, Chay's coach from last year asked if we would be interested in enrolling Chay in the league to play on a first grade team, one year ahead of where he should be. We agreed and Chay and a few other kids from his team last year were hand-picked to play a year up. Play with the first graders, even though almost everyone on the team is in kindergarten. Two of Chay's classmates are on the team. Another kid played with Chay in hockey.
So the schedule comes out and I see that Chay's team is scheduled to play three games against a 9U team. That means kids that are 9 years old and under. Ummmm...those are 3rd graders! We didn't know about this when we agreed. To make matters worse, Chay's team had one practice prior to Saturday's game and the 9U team has been practicing for 3 weeks. I figured Chay's team would get demolished. But those kids played really well and looked like the better team for most of it. The parents I talked to were impressed with how well these six year olds played against the bigger kids. This is just a recreational league so they don't keep score or keep standings. I think Chay's coach will try to keep this group playing together for as many years as possible.
The twins did not have a practice prior to their first game. Their only practice was cancelled due to the cold weather. So the first time they met their team was on gameday. Jace was excited and Jenner says that he hates soccer. Well I'm not sure what happened to Jace, but he didn't want to play once the game got started. And Jenner simply refused. Now we don't care if they play soccer or not, but we do care if they at least give it a try. And right now, they won't try. When Jace & I play together, he giggles the entire time. So I think he'd like it if he gave it a shot. And I think that if we could get Jace out there, then Jenner might at least give it a try. So we'll see how it goes with them.
1 comment:
Remember how you didn't want to go to Cub Scouts the first time? I told you that you had to go to at least one meeting, that if you didn't like it you didn't have to go ever again.
You went to varying levels of scouting for how long? 8 years maybe?
Not saying that will work with Jenner, but you never know.
Post a Comment